Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pelicans, pelicans, pelicans

I recently returned from Chase Lake NWR in North Dakota where there are over 30,000 pelicans.  The challenge is getting an intimate image since the nesting colony is off limits and on an island.  The adults return from feeding late morning so that is the best time to get flight shots.  Perhaps I could have gotten them leaving if I had stayed another day.  Refuge staff and Rick Bohn were helpful but it is a big area.  The first day was spent exploring and the second morning was devoted to intense photography that was amply rewarded with several good images, ranging from landscape to pelican flight shots. the website: chaselakefoundation.org has helpful information and Rick's email address.  I'm already planning my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment